The Sicani Mountains are a mountain range located in the south-central part of Sicily, between the provinces of Agrigento and Palermo.
The area is characterized by hills of a clayey nature or sandy grassland and a mountainous area, more than 900 meters, consisting of calcerous sediment rock from the Mesozoic era.
There are many peaks over 1000 meters, culminating in Rocca Busambra and Monte Cammarata, both over 1500 meters.
The area of the Sicani Mountains preserves archeological sites, signs of the presence of the ancient Sicani people. Of great interest are those features that reveal ancient rural life: the haystack (a dwelling used by nomadic herdsmen), and the beam (a more complex housing structure used by settled farmers).
The area of the Sicani Mountains preserves archeological sites, signs of the presence of the ancient Sicani people. Of great interest are those features that reveal ancient rural life: the haystack (a dwelling used by nomadic herdsmen), and the beam (a more complex housing structure used by settled farmers).Location
Municipalities that fall within the Park: Bivona, Burgio, Cammarata, Castronovo di Sicilia, Chiusa Sclafani, Contessa Entellina, Giuliana, Palazzo Adriano, Prizzi, San Giovanni Gemini, Santo Stefano Quisquina, Sambuca di Sicilia
- Rocca Busambra (1613 m)
- Monte Cammarata and Monte Gemini (1578 m and 1397 m)
- Monte Barracù and Pizzo Cangialoso (1420 m and 1457 m)
- Monte delle Rose (1436 m)
- Serra del Leone and Pizzo Stagnataro (1316 m and 1346 m)
- Pizzo di Gallinaro (1220 m)
- Monte Colomba (1197 m)
- Monte Carcaci (1196 m)
- Monte Genuardo (1180 m)
- Pizzo Colobria (1000 m)
The main water ways are the Platani River, Sosio-Verdura River and the Frattina-Belice River on the left. The Platani River constitutes the geographic boundry of the Sicani Mountains to the east and south. The Sosio River flows near Filaga (Prizzi) and crosses the Sicani forming a deep valley with a gorge: the Valley del Sosio. The Frattina River flows between Busambra Rock and the Ficuzza Forest.
This complex mountain range is composed of the following nature reserves designed to protect nature:
- Natural Reserve Monte Cammarata
- Natural Reserve Monte Genuardo and Santa Maria del Bosco
- Natural Reserve Monte Carcaci
- Natural Reserve Monti di Palazzo Adriano and Valle del Sosio
- Natural Reserve Bosco della Ficuzza, Rocca Busambra, Bosco del Cappelliere e Gorgo del Drago
Integral Natural Reserve Grotta di Sant’Angelo Muxaro
- Integral Natural Reserve Grotta di Entella